Saturday, June 19, 2004

Bangla: Moses and the Shepherd

Have you ever read the poetry "Moses and the Shepherd" written by Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi. Not yet? Okay, No problem. Now you can read.

Yesterday, on the literature page of the Daily Prothom Alo, I read a bangla translation (Musa ebong MeshPalok) of that poetry.

And I would like to share something with you.

# First read the biography of M Jalaluddin Rumi. This Persian poet, as well as Sufi mystic, is known also as Jalal al-Din Muhammad Rumi.

# Now Read that Bangla Translation work by Shahin Akhter and Yasmeen Kabir. [Note: The page may take some time to load the bangla font; Scroll down to the second article]

# Read some other variants translated by
- Shahriar Shahriari
- Coleman Barks and John Moyne

Yes, I agree that Ideology of Maulana Rumi is not beyond question. So is the theme of this poetry "Moses and the Shepherd". Apart from that controversy, what I would like to say, I liked the translation work for its literary value.

Thanks Prothom Alo and those translators for their good job!

And I don't mind to run a debate on this topic.

Comments please.

No comments:

Post a Comment